Aubergine ParmigianaDelicious recipes from The Pioneers of Plant-Based Food
Roasted aubergine and beefstake tomato layered with mozzarella style Cheezly. Served on a bed of red sauce and topped with homemade pesto.
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 Beefsteak tomatoes
- 100g VBites Mozzarella style Cheezly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- One tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of pine nuts
- Salt (to taste)
- Cut the Aubergine into thick 1.5-2cm slices
- Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for 20 minutes before squeezing out the water.
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and fry the aubergine slices on a low heat until tender.
- Remove from heat and dab with kitchen roll to absorb excess oil
- Slice the beefsteak tomatoes into pieces of the same thickness
- Start building the two parmigiana by placing a layer of aubergine sprinkled with Cheezly, followed by a layer of tomato and Cheezly. Repeat until all the slices are used.
- Once the red sauce is prepared, place the parmigiana in the oven at 180c for 5 minutes until the Cheezly has melted.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan
- Add the red onion and sauté until soft, stir in the garlic and cook for another minute
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir into the onions and garlic
- Mix in the chopped tomatoes and simmer on a low heat.
- Add the sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes to reduce.
- Add the fresh basil leaves, oil, and salt into a blender and blend for 15-20 seconds.
- Roughly chop pine nuts and mix into the pesto.
- Place the parmigiana into a shallow bowl
- Pour the red sauce around the edges
- Sprinkle with pesto and fresh basil leaves (Optional)
A quick easy spaghetti dish in a rich tomato sauce, infused with flavours of red wine, black olives and spicy chorizo.read more
Creamy stuffed mushrooms packed with spinach, garlic and full of earthy flavours.read more
Chicken style pieces seasoned with cajun spices and cooked with peppers, mushrooms, and spinach and stirred into quinoa for a protein-packed mealread more