Five C's CasseroleDelicious recipes from The Pioneers of Plant-Based Food
Hearty winter warming casserole made with the five C’s (Chicken Style Pieces, celery, corn, carrots and cider).
Five C’s Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 3 Spanish onions
- 1 bulb garlic
- 4 large carrots
- 5 sticks celery
- 2 small tins sweetcorn
- 1 pint cider or apple juice
- 1 tsp French mustard
- 500g VBites chicken style pieces
- fresh or dried herbs such as basil or tarragon
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the VBites chicken style pieces until brown and crispy at the edges but be careful not to dry them out. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry onions in oil until soft, then season.
- Add carrots and celery and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and fry for no more than 2 minutes so as not to let the garlic burn.
- In a cup, mix the flour with some cold water to make a roux and add to the pan.
- Add vegetable stock and cider or apple juice (if using cider, cook off all the alcohol beforehand).
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of French mustard.
- Cook on a low heat for around 30 minutes or until flavours blend successfully.
- Add sweetcorn and check overall flavour.
- Add your choice of herb. Basil and tarragon work well.
Serve with fresh bread and/or potato gratin.
A deliciously creamy coconut curry with ground almonds an VBites Chicken Style Piecesread more
A delcious summer salad grilled VBites chicken style pieces, roasted garlic and a tahini and French mustard dressing.read more
A spicy tomato soup with coriander, cumin and chilli. Topped with crispy tortilla pieces and melted Cheezlyread more
A plant-based take on a curry house classic. VBites Chicken Style Pieces cooked in a rich tomato and coconut cream sauce with subtle spicesread more
Tender VBites Chicken Style Pieces simmered in a rich, Asian miso broth with rice noodles chickpeas and crunchy beanshootsread more
A rich, heart soup with creamy blended chickpeas and spicy VBites Meat-Free Chorizo Style Chunksread more