Five C's CasseroleDelicious recipes from The Pioneers of Plant-Based Food
Hearty winter warming casserole made with the five C’s (Chicken Style Pieces, celery, corn, carrots and cider).
Five C’s Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 3 Spanish onions
- 1 bulb garlic
- 4 large carrots
- 5 sticks celery
- 2 small tins sweetcorn
- 1 pint cider or apple juice
- 1 tsp French mustard
- 500g VBites chicken style pieces
- fresh or dried herbs such as basil or tarragon
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the VBites chicken style pieces until brown and crispy at the edges but be careful not to dry them out. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry onions in oil until soft, then season.
- Add carrots and celery and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and fry for no more than 2 minutes so as not to let the garlic burn.
- In a cup, mix the flour with some cold water to make a roux and add to the pan.
- Add vegetable stock and cider or apple juice (if using cider, cook off all the alcohol beforehand).
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of French mustard.
- Cook on a low heat for around 30 minutes or until flavours blend successfully.
- Add sweetcorn and check overall flavour.
- Add your choice of herb. Basil and tarragon work well.
Serve with fresh bread and/or potato gratin.
We love to see how creative people get with our #VBites food. Bethany's Vegan Kitchen made this creative nachos pizza using our VBites ham pieces. Bethany said: Why choose between pizza and nachos when you can have both! Sort of. Really easy and quick to whip up, this...read more
Ingredients Filling: 250 ml vegetable stock 3 packs chicken style pieces 75g/3oz vegan margarine • 2 leeks trimmed and cut into slices • 2 garlic cloves crushed • 50g/2oz plain flour • 200ml/7fl oz diary free milk • 2–3 tbs white wine (optional) • 150ml/3fl oz soya...read more
Ingredients • 50g VBites melting mozzarella cheese • 30g VBites melting red cheese • 200 g fine ground semolina flour or strong white bread flour • 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt • 2x7 g sachets of dried yeast • 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar • Tomato sauce • 1...read more
Instructions • 300g VBites Duck Pieces • 2 teaspoons garlic powder • 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper • 1 teaspoon onion powder• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper • 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano • 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper...read more
Ingredients ▪ 300g vBites chicken ▪ for marinade ▪ 1/2cup yogurt I used alpro coconut ▪ 2 tbsp ginger paste ▪ 2 tbsp garlic paste ▪ 1/2 tsp white pepper powder ▪ 1/2 tsp cumin powder ▪ 1/2 tsp red chilli powder ▪ 1/2 tsp turmeric powder ▪ 4 tbsp lemon juice ▪ salt, to...read more
Ingredients • 150g VBites chorizo • 250g/9oz floury potatoes, peeled • 1 tsp plant based butter , plus extra for greasing • dash of soya milk • 190g Vbites Edam super melting (150g grated) • 1 tsp English mustard • 2 spring onions, finely chopped • 1tsp of smoked...read more