Five C's CasseroleDelicious recipes from The Pioneers of Plant-Based Food
Hearty winter warming casserole made with the five C’s (Chicken Style Pieces, celery, corn, carrots and cider).
Five C’s Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 3 Spanish onions
- 1 bulb garlic
- 4 large carrots
- 5 sticks celery
- 2 small tins sweetcorn
- 1 pint cider or apple juice
- 1 tsp French mustard
- 500g VBites chicken style pieces
- fresh or dried herbs such as basil or tarragon
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the VBites chicken style pieces until brown and crispy at the edges but be careful not to dry them out. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry onions in oil until soft, then season.
- Add carrots and celery and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and fry for no more than 2 minutes so as not to let the garlic burn.
- In a cup, mix the flour with some cold water to make a roux and add to the pan.
- Add vegetable stock and cider or apple juice (if using cider, cook off all the alcohol beforehand).
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of French mustard.
- Cook on a low heat for around 30 minutes or until flavours blend successfully.
- Add sweetcorn and check overall flavour.
- Add your choice of herb. Basil and tarragon work well.
Serve with fresh bread and/or potato gratin.
The Shepherd’s pie, a timeless classic whatever the weather. Meat-free mince simmered with garden vegetables in gravy and topped with creamed potato, crisped to perfection.read more
Carbonara style spaghetti with VBites rasher slices and creamy melted cheezlyread more
A classic coconut cream curry infused with rich flavours of lemongrass and Thai basil.read more
A hearty winter stew packed leeks and chicken style pieces and served with hand made cheezy vegetable dumplingsread more
A plant-based take on the classic French Ragout. VBites Beef Style Pieces stewed with vegetables and spices in a rich tomato sauce.read more
A sweet and savoury stir-fry made with bok choy, mustard greens and VBites Beef Style Pieces.read more