If you have any questions about vegan nutrition, or want more information about the sources below, then please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Diet of Disaster
Author: Tony Wardle
Published by: Viva! (2007)
Diet for a Small Planet
Author: Frances Moore Lappe
Publisher: Ballantine Books (1985)
The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter
Author: Peter Singer and Jim Mason
Publisher: Rodale Books (2006)
The Earth and You: Eating for Two
Author: April Moore
Publisher: Potomac Valley Press (1993)
Research papers and government reports
- Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment,Pimentel and Pimentel 78 (3): 660S – American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Ecosystems, Sustainability, and Animal Agriculture, R.K. Heitschmidt, et al., Journal of Animal Science 1996; 74:1395-1405
- Analysis of Output/Input Energy Ratios of Food Production in Ontario, P. Southwell & T. M. Rothwell (1977), School of Engineering, University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada.
- The Price of Beef, WorldWatch Institute (1994)
- Sustainability and Integrity in the Agriculture Sector, R. Goodland & D. Pimentel, Ecological Integrity: Integrating Environment, Conservation and Health, D. Pimentel, L. Westra, R. F. Noss (eds), Island Press, 2000.
- Sustainable Protein Production and Consumption: Pigs or Peas? Aiking H (2006), Series: Environment & Policy, Vol. 45, 2006, XVI, 226 p. ISBN: 978-1-4020-4062-7
- Vegan Diets Healthier for Planet, People Than Meat Diets, Eshel G, Martin P (2006) , University of Chicago
- Estimation of the water requirement for beef production in the United States, Beckett JL, Oltjen JW (1993) Journal of Animal Science, 71: pp. 818-826
- Ecosystems and Human Well-Being, MEA (2005) Millenium Ecosystem Assessment, Island Press.
- A New Global Warming Strategy: How Environmentalists are Overlooking Vegetarainism as the Most Effective Toll Against Global Warming in Our Lifetimes, Mohr N (2005) EarthSave International report.
- The European Meat Industry in the 1990s, Smulders FJM (1991) Ecceamst 1991: Audet Tijdschriften BV.
- Livestock’s Long Shadow: Environmental Issues and Options, Livestock, Environment and Development, H. Steinfeld et al., (2006).
- Intensive Farming and Biotechnology: Saving People and Wildlife in the 21st Century, D. T. Avery, The Meat Business, G. Tansey & J. D’Silva (eds) Earthscan Publications, 1999
- The State of Food Insecurity in the World, FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), 2002
- Agricultural Data, FAO, FAOSTAT, 2002
- Livestock and the Environment: Finding a Balance, C. de Haan, H. Steinfeld & H. Blackburn, FAO, USAID, World Bank, 1998
- Rationalizing Animal Food Production, Prof. V. Smil, in Feeding the World: A Challenge for the 21st Century, MIT Press, London, 2000.
- A method to determine land requirements relating to food consumption patterns, P. W. Gerbens-Leenes et al., Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 2002; 90:47-58
- Tomorrow’s World, D. McLaren, S. Bullock, & N. Yousuf, Friends of the Earth, 1998
- Towards a Sustainable Food Policy, T. Lang, The Meat Business, G. Tansey & J. D’Silva (eds) Earthscan Publications, 1999